Saturday, March 17, 2012

Differences between right and wrong.

So, I'm 20 and have now had 20 years of agency. As I've gotten older I've had more of it. Moving out and going to college has given me pretty free range in whatever I want to do.
I used to think I'd love making all my own decisions. Not so anymore. I wish people would tell me what to do when it comes to the really hard things. Because if i've learned anything it's that-

Doing the right thing and doing the wrong thing are very different. The wrong thing is easier. It's always easier to give in. The right thing is so hard.

the other thing i've learned about right and wrong-

The wrong thing will not hurt you at the moment. It'll most likely make you feel good and relieved. It's what the bad side of you wants because no one likes to be hurt. The right thing though, will hurt at the moment sometimes. And sometimes it'll make you feel like you could never feel worse.

But, the most important thing I've learned-

The wrong thing's "feel good" stage will leave. And in replace, you'll feel worse than you would have if you made the right choice in the beginning. Making the right decision may nearly kill you, tear you're heart to pieces, and then feel like they're stomped on, but in the long run, things will be better. You'll know you made the right decision and no matter how hard it is in the beginning, there's a {very} faint light at the end of the tunnel calling your name.

After making the right decision, you'll most likely at some point want to give up. You'll probably think at some point while you're feeling awful, you want to rewind and have a re do because human nature is not to want to feel bad. And the whole time while making the right decision, there will be both people rooting for you, and there will be people booing you while trying to make you feel worse.

More things I've learned-

Associate yourself with people who make it easier to do the right thing. People that are pretty darn good shoulders to cry on, because I promise, you'll need it at some point. people that cheer you on in the good things, not the bad. It makes life easier ten fold.

“It takes less time to do things right than to explain why you did it wrong.” -Henry Longfellow

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” -Theodore Roosevelt. 

“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.” -H. Norman Swarzkopf 


And to end on a happier note, Betsy and I went to the temple yesterday. :D And also to the mall yesterday. We'd never been to the cache valley mall. {okay, I went to bath and body in it once but no other stores} and it is by far the smallest mall I've ever been to. Maybe has 25-30 stores. The best store in that mall though, was the video store. It was so awesome!! There were stacks and stacks just laying around. Stacked as high as the ceiling. VHS, DVDs, Records, Cassettes, CDs, games, everything. We found some gems in there. I asked the worker guy if I could do a photo shoot in there some time and he said yes! So, i'm excited about this. :D Here's a picture I took of Betsy while there.

No comments: