Thursday, October 27, 2011

Recipe Wednesday turned Thought Thursday

So yesterday was too busy to make anything. so i made mac & cheese. for those of you who don't know this, this is my favorite breakfast food. yes, breakfast. I love soups and leftovers and anything non-breakfast for breakfast. If i'm going to have breakfast food, it'll most likely be for dinner. I know, i'm weird. no need to tell me this.

So i made jambalaya- for 2 reasons. 1-because i needed me some spicy southern food. and 2-because i told my friend, Garin, that i would make him something sometime. only all of the food i cook would kill him. Cause he's deathly allergic to milk. So. this proposed some serious problems. did you know that margarine even has butter in it?? i did not. anyways, the other day i was thinking about making jambalaya and a light bulb went off in my head. jambalaya has zero milk. :D i had a polska cheese sausage that i usually use and had to go buy one that didn't have the cheese, but other than that this was a little easier to do than i thought it would. Don't get me wrong, i was still highly paranoid and kinda freaked out because i didn't want to kill the kid on accident. I'm pretty sure if i had to cook for him full time i'd get stomach ulcers from the stress. geez. haha. Although he assures me that it won't be scary after the first few times. i think he just wants me to keep making him food.... :P

anyways. jambalaya is not too hard to make. mainly you just need the right spices and you'll be fine.

here's the simplest way-

use a package of zatarans jambalaya seasoning and add rice. {the smaller amount you use, the spicier it is. and then dress it up with more peppers and some chili powder and Polska sausage and chicken and tony sacher's creole seasoning, or shrimp, or if you are lucky and can find them, CRAWFISH! mmmm. Love that water creature. One day, i'm going to go crawfish hunting again and then have a huge crawfish boil and eat those things till my lips burn so bad from all the spicy spices! The worst part is your fingers have the spices in them for days and every time you wipe your eyes they feel like they're on fire. anyways... i need to stop talking about crawfish because i want to cry that you can't get them here.

I should have taken a picture before we ate and cleared
off the table. but alas, i am not doing so hot at taking as
many snap shot pictures of my life this year. :'(
i made cornbread too. which Garin couldn't eat because the mix said "may contain milk"....

Jambalaya. it's one of my favorite things. I want to make a king cake again. because those are my favorite things in all the world. but, they kind of take a good 6-8 hours of work. so, next time i make them, instead of making 2, i'm making at least 4. at least.

So there is southern food Recipe Wednesday on a Thursday.

No comments: