Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thought Thursday-Womanhood

sometimes i feel like i'm one of those domestic goddesses. Like everything that Mormon women are known for or stereo typed with i kinda do.... for instance-
  • i cook
  • i decorate
  • i like crafts and creativity
  • i'm a photographer
  • i want lots {well in the world's eyes, not mormon culture} of kids
  • i want to be a homemaker and not have a huge career after I get married and have kids
i think mormon women are most known for their homemaking. And i can already see that when i have my own home i will be just the same...heck, i only have an apartment and i already do this!

I'm pretty sure that 70% of mormon housewives are self proclaimed "photographers". which kinda drives me nuts. And for the record, i Loved photography and wanted to be a photographer long before i ever made the connection to this fact. haha

i want to be a stay at home mom. This is what the LDS church teaches is best for the family. And i've never had a problem with this. I think it sounds perfect, actually.

and i cook too. basically, i was made to be a mormon women.

many cultures outside the LDS faith find a lot of those things archaic.

But i don't.
Yes, maybe it's "old fashioned"

but i don't care.
I've never had a problem with it.

I know that men and women have different roles in the church and in this world. I've never felt left out because I can't hold the priesthood. I feel blessed because instead, i have the gift to one day become a mother. Which in my humble opinion is super awesome!

here are some quotes that i really like on womanhood and motherhood.

“During my professional career as a doctor of medicine, I was occasionally asked why I chose to do that difficult work. I responded with my opinion that the highest and noblest work in this life is that of a mother. Since that option was not available to me, I thought that caring for the sick might come close. I tried to care for my patients as compassionately and competently as Mother cared for me.

Many years ago the First Presidency issued a statement that has had a profound and lasting influence upon me. “Motherhood,” they wrote, “is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.

Because mothers are essential to God’s great plan of happiness, their sacred work is opposed by Satan, who would destroy the family and demean the worth of women.” -Russell M. Nelson.


The family is the basic unit of society and is ordained of God. It is through the family,

that children progress best and ultimately find happiness eternally.


"...one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother." -Howard W. Hunter.


"Sisters, we love you. We pray for you. Be strong and of good courage. You are truly
royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your
own wondrous story has already begun. Your 'once upon a time' is now."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf. from one of my all time favorite talks.

"Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely
daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and
respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the
horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth" Gordon B. Hinckley


I have a testimony of my divine right as a women. It's a gift and blessing. It's not holding me back from anything; it's helping me become more. I'm grateful for my dad, Dean, and grandpas, for being such great examples of how a daughter of God should be treated by their husbands. I'm also grateful for my mom and grandmas for teaching me what a mom should be and about the special gifts women have.

No comments: